Important events from Indian history that happened on 17 March – Birthdays, Death anniversaries and other events which affected India’s future
17 March – Birthdays
- Birth anniversary of Indian actor was Joseph baptista- He was originally from Mumbai and was closely associated with Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak and the Home Rule movement. He is also credited with coining the phrase Swaraj is my birthright and I shall have it. He was elected as the mayor of Mumbai in 1925 as well.
- Birthday of Indian actor Puneeth Rajkumar who acts and is a producer primarily in Kannada cinema.
- Birthday of Saina Nehwal who is an Indian Badminton professional and has brought multiple laurels on international stage for India.
- Birth anniversary of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman who was a Bengali politician and a Statesman. He is often regarded as the driving force behind the independence of Bangladesh. He helped found the Mukti Bahini and let the Bangladeshi freedom struggle against Pakistan. He served as the President and later as prime minister of independent Bangladesh.
- Birth anniversary of Ramchandra Narayan Dandekar who was indologist and Vedic scholar based out of Maharashtra. For his contribution he was awarded with the civilian honour of Padma Bhushan and also with the Sahitya Academy fellowship.
17 March – Death anniversaries
- Death anniversary of Indian cricketer Dattu Phadkar who was an all rounder and represented India in international test matches.
- Death anniversary of Marathi author vishnushastri chiplunkar who is regarded as one of the icons of modern Marathi prose.
17 March – Important events
- Battle of Khandwa war was fought on 17th March 1527 in Khandwa Rajasthan. This was the second most important war in the attempt by invading Mughals to establish Mughal Dynasty in India. The war happened between Rana Sanga of Mewar and the armies of Babar. In the world Babar ended up defeating Rana Sanga and consolidated the Mughal empire in India.