Shivkumar sharma. Check out Shivkumar sharma biography, performances, concerts, birthday, age, family, achievements, some lesser known facts
|Shivkumar Sharma biography
||Pandit Shivkumar Sharma
||He is a master Santoor instrumentalist who has also worked as a vocalist. Pandit Shivkumar Sharma is also credited with making Santoor a very popular Classical Indian music Instrument. He actually started learning santoor at the age of thirteen so that he could make his father’s dream come true. When he started, Santoor was only an instrument that was used by folk singers in Kashmir valley. Very few people knew about it even in Jammu which is just a few hundred kms south of Kashmir valley. He also used to work as a composer for movies in collaboration with Shri Hari Prasad Chaurasia. In fact, he was the first classical musician from India who worked on creation of a music video so that he could connect to the younger generation of music lovers.
||Birthday: 13 January 1938
||Birthplace: Jammu and Kashmir, India
||Father: Uma Dutt Sharma
Spouse: Manorama Sharma
Children: 2 children. Rahul Sharma is also a santoor player
||Pandit Uma Dutt Sharma
- Honorary Citizen for the City of Baltimore
- Sangeet Natak Academy Award
- Maharashtra Gaurav Puraskar
- Honorary Doctorate from the University of Jammu
- Ustad Hafiz Ali Khan Award
- Padma Vibhushan
|Lesser Known Facts
His father actually started training him in vocals and tabla when he was only five. Mr Uma Dutt Sharma did a lot of research, on the santoor as an instrument, and finally decided that Shivkumar Sharma should be the first Indian musician to play Indian classical music on santoor.
- Pandit Shivkumar Sharma is single-handedly responsible in making santoor a popular instrument for classical music
- He gave his first ever public performance in Mumbai in 1955
- Pandit Shivkumar Sharma recorded his first individual album in 1960.
- He teamed up with the famed flautist Pandit Hariprasad Chaurasia in 1967 to produce a concept album, named Call of the Valley. It actually turned out to be one of the greatest hits of Indian Classical Music
- Panditji has composed music for several Hindi films in collaboration with Pt Hariprasad Chaurasia. They started with the music of the movie Silsila in 1980. In fact, they were known popularly as ‘Shiv-Hari’ music duo. The duo found out very soon that they could not balance between their work in movies and the music outside. So they quit films after the movie Darr. They also refused to work on the movie by the famed director Yash Chopra called Dil To Pagal Hai.
- Shivkumar Sharma has stated that he chose his son Rahul as a shishya because he believed he had the “gift of God”
- A biographical film called Antardhwani : Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma was made on his life in 2007-08