Check out Manmohan Singh biography, profile, birthday, family, wiki and some lesser known facts about his contribution to Indian society and Politics
Manmohan Singh biography
- Name- Manmohan Singh
- Known for- Reformist Economic policies as Finance Minister in 1991. 13th Prime minister of India
- Literary contributions- India‘s Export Trends and Prospects for Self-Sustained Growth. Regular articles to numerous economic journals.
- Important dates
- Birthday – 26th September, 1932
- Important places
- Place of birth – Gah, Punjab (Now in Pakistan)
- Institutions – Punjab University, St. John’s College (University of Cambridge), Nuffield College (University of Oxford)
- Educational qualifications – Bachelor and Masters in Economics, D.Phil
- Father- Gurumukh Singh
- Mother- Amrit Kaur
- Siblings- NA
- Spouse- Gursharan Kaur
- Children- Upinder Singh, Daman Singh and Amrit Singh (3 Daughters)
Lesser known facts
- Manmohan Singh lost his mother at a very young age and was raised by his paternal grandparents.
- Singh had a prolonged stint as an Economics professor at prominent Indian institutes like Punjab University, Delhi School of Economics, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) etc.
- After completing his D.Phil in 1966, Dr. Singh worked at UNCTAD for 3 years. His contributions as an economist were quickly recognized and he was appointed as an advisor to the Ministry of Foreign Trade.
- Manmohan Singh had worked at several key positions like Chief Economic advisor, Governor of Reserve Bank (RBI) and Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission before making his debut in active politics as the Finance Minister in Narsimha Rao’s government.
- His tenure as the Finance Minister raised his stature and made him a household name. His bold Economic policy reforms opened up Indian economy which was in shambles at that time. The reforms were mandated by IMF which was approached by India for financial help due to balance of payment crisis.
- He is the first Sikh Prime Minister of India and is also regarded as the “Accidental Prime Minister” when Mrs. Sonia Gandhi nominated Manmohan Singh as the prime ministerial candidate in 2004 after a landslide victory in the Lok Sabha elections.
- Dr. Singh is still regarded as one of the honest politicians despite his government being marred in some of the biggest scams that Independent India has ever seen.
- His role in Coal Mine scam is still questioned by many though he has been given clean chit by the investigating agencies.
- Manmohan Singh have gone through multiple Cardiac Bypass surgeries, the most recent one being in January 2009.