Check out Inder Kumar Gujral biography, profile, birthday, family, wiki and some lesser known facts about his contribution to Indian society and Politics
Manmohan Singh biography
- Name- Inder Kumar Gujral
- Known for- The Gujral Doctrine, 12th Prime Minister of India
- Literary contributions- Matters of Discretion: An Autobiography. This is the only autobiography by an Indian Prime minister.
- Important dates
- Birthday – 4th December,1919
- Death – 30th November, 2012
- Important places
- Place of birth – Jhelum, Punjab (Now in Pakistan)
- Place of Death – Gurgaon, Haryana
- Institutions – DAV College, Hailey College of Commerce, Forman Christian College (University of Punjab)
- Educational qualifications – Bachelor and Commerce
- Father- Avtar Narain
- Mother- Pushpa Gujral
- Siblings- Satish Gujral, Uma Nanda, Sunita Judge
- Spouse- Shiela Gujral
- Children- Naresh and Vishal Gujral
Lesser known facts
- Inder kumar Gujral fought for India’s freedom and participated in Quit India Movement in 1942. He was jailed for staging protests against the British.
- After completing his education, Gujral joined politics by becoming a member of the Communist party if India.
- Inder Kumar Gujral married Shiela Gujral on 26th May, 1945 who was a college friend and a poet by profession. Gujral himself became a lover of Urdu poetry from Maulana Azad National Urdu University where he was appointed as the chancellor.
- I K Gujral joined Indian National Congress in 1954 and held several high profile positions before becoming the prime minister. He was the Minister of Information and Broadcasting during the controversial period of emergency. Thus, he was responsible for the media and press censorship.
- Inder Kumar Gujral also served as the ambassador of India to Soviet Union during Indira Gandhi’s tenure.
- He moved to Janata Party during the 1980s and was named as the Minister of External Affairs in the government of V P Singh. He again took over this ministry in 1996 under H D Devegowda’s government. It was during this period, he penned “Gujral Doctrine” which emphasized on having better relations with immediate neighbours.
- Gujral’s younger sibling Satish Gujral is a world renowned painter and sculptor.
- Inder Kumar Gujral is also among the few prime ministers who were a member of Rajya Sabha instead of Lok sabha. The others included Indira Gandhi, H D Deve Gowda and Manmohan Singh.
- Gujral’s nomination as a prime ministerial candidate came as a shock to many as he was never in the fray for the coveted position. But, due to a disagreement among the coalition parties, his was the only name which didn’t see any opposition.
- He courted some controversies in his short tenure as a prime minister by recommending President’s rule in Uttar Pradesh. The recommendation was returned by the President and was shot down by the Allahabad high court when challenged. He didn’t break his silence on the matter of CBI’s inquiry into fodder scam which could have convicted Lalu Prasad Yadav. It’s notable that Gujral won his Rajya sabha seat with the help of Yadav’s party.