4 April – Birthdays
- Parveen Babi – Parveen Babi, an Indian actress, appeared in 60 feature films in Bollywood and was mostly remembered for her glamorous roles during the movies in 70s and 80s. She was born on 4 April 1949 in Junagadh, Gujarat.
- Makhan Lal Chaturvedi – Makhanlal Chaturvedi was also known as pandit Ji in the literary circle. He was an Indian poet, writer, journalist and a freedom fighter. He is predominantly remembered for his immense contribution to “Chhayavad”, the literary Movement in Hindi literature. For his contributions, he was awarded the first Sahitya Academy Award in 1955 and “Padma Bhushan” in 1963. Pandit ji was born in Hoshangabad district of Madhya Pradesh on 4 April 1889.
- Kundan Lal Saigal – Kundan Lal Saigal, aka K L Sehgal, could be described as the first superstar of Bollywood. Born in Jammu in 1904, Sehgal was a budding singer and this encouraged him to move to Calcutta and hone his talent. He started singing at the “New theatres” which was a Calcutta based film studio. KL Saigal moved to Mumbai in 1941 where he acted and did playback singing in numerous Bollywood movies.
4 April – Death anniversaries
- Manilal Gandhi – Manilal Mohandas Gandhi was the second son of Mahatma Gandhi. He was born in Rajkot in 1892. He travelled to South Africa in 1897 and worked at Phoenix ashram near Durban for some time. He later worked in “Indian opinion” a Gujarati-English weekly publication. In 1920, he was promoted as the editor of the publication.
4 April – Important Events
- An earthquake occurred in Kangra valley on this very day in 1905 which decimated almost everything in the Kangra region which used to come under Punjab province. Measuring 7.8 on Richter Scale, this earthquake caused major destruction in the towns of Mcleodganj, Dharamshala and Kangra.