3 April – Birthdays
- Sam Manekshaw – Sam Manekshaw is regarded as India’s greatest military commander. He was the Chief of Army Staff during the Indo-Pakistan war of 1971. Subsequently, he became the First officer to be promoted to the rank of Field Marshal. Sam Manekshaw was born on 3 April, 1914 in Amritsar and joined IMA (Indian Military Academy) in 1932.
- Ramnath Goenka – Ramnath Goenka was born in a small town of Darbhanga, Bihar on April 3rd, 1904. At the age of 32, he founded the Indian Express group. His fearless journalism during the days of Emergency is still remembered to this day. An award named “Ramnath Goenka Award” has been constituted in his memory to honor journalist who do extraordinary work in the field of reporting.
- Prabhu Deva – Prabhu deva came a long way from being a dancer. His dancing style landed him jobs of choreographing movie songs. Prabhu Deva later became director, producer and actor giving several blockbuster hits in Bollywood and other southern film industries.
- Jaya Prada – She was one of the most successful Bollywood actresses of her time and recipient of 2 Filmfare Awards. She was born in Rajamundry district of Andhra Pradesh and thus started her political career with TDP. She was an elected member of parliament from Rampur constituency in Uttar Pradesh till 2014.
- Nirmal Verma – Nirmal Verma was a renowned hindi writer and novelist. He was born on 3rd April 1929 in Shimla Himachal Pradesh. He pioneered the “Nayi kahani” literary movement of Hindi literature. His career spanned 5 decades where he contributed numerous short stories, novels and travelogues.
3 April – Death anniversaries
- Shivaji – Shivaji was an Indian Warrior and the scion of Bhosle Maratha clam. He is credited with the genesis of the Maratha Empire. In 1674, Shivaji was formally ground as “Chhatrapati” of his realm. He was the first Indian ruler to establish a competent and progressive civil rule and a disciplined military. He died on 3rd April, 1680 at the age of 52 due to fever and dysentery.