Important events from Indian history that happened on 23 March – Birthdays, Death anniversaries and other events which affected India’s future
23 March – Birthdays
- Birth anniversary of Indian poet Nalini Bala Devi who was a very famous author and a poet of Assamese literature. She won the Sahitya Academy Award for her collection Alaknanda and was also given the Padma shri award by Indian government for her contribution to Indian literature.
- Birth anniversary of Indian politician Shri Ram Manohar Lohia who was one of the tallest socialist leaders and an active participant in the Indian freedom struggle.
- Birth anniversary of Indian politician and freedom fighters Subhadra Joshi who took active part in the Quit India Movement in 1942. Post independence she served in the Indian Parliament for four terms. She was awarded with the Rajiv Gandhi Sadbhavana Puraskar as well.
- Birth anniversary of Cindy freedom fighter and an active participant in Indian freedom struggle Hemu Kalani. He was a leader of Swaraj Cena which was a student organization.
- Birthday of Indian cricketer Atul wassan who became a cricket commentator post his retirement from international cricket.
- Birth anniversary of GD Naidu who was an engineer and inventor from India. He is often referred to as the Edison of India.
- Birthday of Indian entrepreneur Kiran Majumdar Shaw.
- Birthday of Indian Politician and Actress Smriti Zubin Irani.
- Birthday of Indian film actress Kangana Ranaut.
23 March – Death anniversaries
- Death anniversary of Indian author Pandey Bechan Sharma who is popularly known by his pen name of ‘Ugra’. He is widely remembered for his satirical writings evocative poems and journalism.
- 23rd march is the death anniversary of Bengali poet and author Shakti Chattopadhyay who also receive the Sahitya Academy Award for his contribution to Indian literature.
- Death anniversary of Indian hockey Legend Udham Singh cooler who represented his country in four successive Olympics in 1952, 1956, 1960 and 1964. As a part of Indian hockey team he won 3 gold and 1 silver medals. For his contribution to Indian Sports Indian government awarded him with the Arjuna Award.
- Death anniversary of Indian revolutionaries Sardar Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru who were hung by the British government on 23rd march 1933 as a part of death sentence that the government had given them due to their participation in the Lahore Conspiracy Case. The initial date set for the execution was 24th March but it was moved 11 hours earlier. In fact the British government cremated the bodies of Indian revolutionaries outside the Jail secretly and threw the Ashes in the Satluj river without handing it over to their families also.
- Death anniversary of major Prakash Singh who received the prestigious Victoria cross. It’s the highest award for valor that can be given to a member of armed forces from Commonwealth and allied countries.