Important events from Indian history that happened on 21 March – Birthdays, Death anniversaries and other events which affected India’s future
21 March – Birthdays
- Birthday of Indian actress Rani Mukherjee who has acted in several critically and commercially acclaim movies. She has actually received 7 Filmfare awards for her groundbreaking performances.
- Birth anniversary of Indian politician Buta Singh who was a senior member of Indian National Congress. He had also served as the Union Home minister for India and later as a Governor of Bihar.
- Birth anniversary of Indian metallurgist and administrator P Ramachandra Rao. He was a student of Banaras Hindu University and has the unique distinction of being a student, faculty and Vice Chancellor at the same University. He received the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award for his contribution to science.
- Birth anniversary of Nirmala Srivastava who is popularly known as Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi. She was actually the founder of Sahaja Yoga.
- Birth anniversary of Ustad Bismillah Khan who was born in Varanasi on 21st March. He was a Shehnai Maestro and had a very important role in popularising the musical instrument in India. For his contribution towards Indian classical music he was awarded India’s highest civilian honour of Bharat Ratna by the Indian Government and he became only the third musician to receive this award after MS Subbulakshmi and Ravi Shankar.
- Birth anniversary of MN Roy who was a Revolutionary and a radical activist who took part in Indian freedom struggle.
21 March – Death anniversaries
- Death anniversary of Indian writer Gaura Pant who was popularly known by his pen name of Shivani. She is often regarded as one of the pioneers of fiction and storytelling in Hindi literature where women were the protagonists. He has written several extremely popular books like Surangama, Rati vilap, Teesra beta etc. For her contribution to Hindi literature she was awarded the Padma Shri award by the Indian government.