Important events from Indian history that happened on 20 March – Birthdays, Death anniversaries and other events which affected India’s future
20 March – Birthdays
- Birth anniversary of Indian politician Mr PC Alexander- He served as the governor of Tamilnadu and later as the governor of Maharashtra during his Political career. He was also considered as a potential candidate for the position of Indian President in 2002. He has written several books including his autobiography ‘Through the corridors of power’ and other books like ‘My years with Indira Gandhi’ and ‘The perils of democracy’.
- Birth anniversary of former Indian international cricketer Madan Lal- He had also served as Indian national cricket coach and was a part of Indian cricket squad in 1983 which won the World Cup. He also contested an election as a candidate of Indian National Congress in 2009 as a part of his short lived Political career.
- Birth anniversary of Indian tennis player and Businessman Anand Amritraj- along with his brothers Ashok and Vijay Amritraj, Anand Amritraj was one of the initial Indian tennis players who contested at the top of the game in International Tour. His son Stephen Amritraj is also an international tennis player.
- Birth anniversary of Dara shikoh- Dara shikoh was the eldest son of Emperor Shahjahan. Shahjahan wanted him to succeed him on the throne for Mughal Empire after his death. He also had the support of King’s elder sister Jahanara Begum for his claim. However he faced a lot of resistance from his brother Aurangzeb and had to fight him for the throne. In the war that happened for the Mughal Empire near Agra, Dara Shikoh’s army lost against Aurangzeb and he was killed. As a result Aurangzeb occupied Agra and deposed his father Shahjahan.
20 March – Death anniversaries
- Death anniversary of George Curzon who served as the viceroy of India from 1899 to 1905. During this duration in India also faced one of the worst famines in history which led to the death of more than a million people. Some historians pick this estimate at close to 4 million as well.
- Death anniversary of Nepalese politician Girija Prasad Koirala who was born in what is present day Bihar and later went on to serve as the Prime Minister of Nepal for four terms.
- Death anniversary of Indian author, novelist, politician, journalist and diplomat Khushwant Singh- Khushwant Singh is one of the most notable literary figures of 20th century from India. His book ‘Train to Pakistan’, based on his experience during India’s partition, is one of the most poignant creations related to the horrible chapter from Indian history. For his literary contributions he was awarded the Padma Bhushan Award which he later returned as a protest against Operation Blue Star. Later he was also awarded with Padma vibhushan. He also received the Sahitya Academy Fellowship.
20 March – Important events
- The Dutch East India company was formed on 20th March 1602. It was formed to ensure trade with India and Southeast Asian countries.