2 April – Birthdays
- Ajay Devgan – Ajay Devgan is an Indian film actor, director and producer who was born in New Delhi on April 2nd, 1969. He began his professional career in 1991 with a blockbuster, Phool aur Kaante and went on to win numerous awards including 2 National Film Awards and 4 Filmfare Awards.
- Swami Narayan – Swami Narayan was born in Chhapiya, Uttar Pradesh in 1781 as Ghanshyam Pande. He was a Yogi and an ascetic who left home to practice the path of Dharma and Brahmcharya. His followers were from different religions and he appointed 500 Paramhamsas (Teachers) to spread his message across the world.
- Roshan Seth – The Indian born British actor appeared predominantly in British and American movies. He was born in Patna, Bihar and did his schooling from the prestigious Doon school. He portrayed the character of India’s first Prime Minister “Jawahar Lal Nehru” in the TV series “Bharat Ek Khoj”.
2 April – Death anniversaries
- K S Ranjitsinji – Often known as “Ranji”, Ranjitsinhji was the ruler of India’s princely state of Nawanagar. He was a noted cricketer who also played for the English Cricket Team. Considering his contributions to the world of cricket, India named the first class tournament between states as “Ranji Trophy”.
2 April – Important events
- Kanhoji Angre was appointed as the Admiral of Marathas Naval force in 1698 and since then he became a cause of concern for the East India Company. Despite their warnings of dire consequences, Kanhoji attacked and looted numerous company’s naval convoys. This prompted the company to declare Kanhoji as a pirate and lay a siege at his fort. Commodore William James captured the fort of Suvarnadurg on April 2nd.