Important events from Indian history that happened on 19 March – Birthdays, Death anniversaries and other events which affected India’s future
19 March – Birthdays
- Birth anniversary of Indian movie director Sai Paranjape who was also a screenwriter. She was the person behind some of the most celebrated films of Indian cinema like Chashme Baddoor, Sparsh and Disha. In fact she also won the National Film Award for our screenplay for the movie Sparsh. Government of India also rewarded with the civilian honour of Padma Bhushan for his contribution to Indian movies.
- Birth anniversary of Indian cricketer and wicket keeper Dilawar Hussain who represented India in the 1930s.
19 March – Death anniversaries
- Death anniversary of Sri M A Ayyangar who served as the first Deputy Speaker and later as the speaker of Indian Lok Sabha. He joined the Indian freedom struggle when Mahatma Gandhi asked Indian youths to be a part of India’s struggle for independence and went to jail twice.
- Death anniversary of Sri jivatram Bhagwandas Kriplani who is also popularly known as Acharya Kriplani. He was serving as the President of Congress when the transfer of power happened from the British government to an independent Indian government. He was a follower of Mahatma Gandhi and played very active role in Indian freedom struggle right from the non cooperation Movement in 20s to the Quit India Movement and ultimately Indian independence. He was a member of Lok Sabha for multiple terms and kept working for the improvement of society over his life. His wife Sucheta Kriplani remained a member of Congress even after he had left the party and later also served as the first female chief minister of Uttar Pradesh.
- Death anniversary of EMS Namboodiripad who served as the first chief minister of Kerala and was a very prominent communist.
- Death anniversary of Indian classical vocalist and musician Vinay Chandra Mudgal who was a member of the Gwalior Gharana. He set up Gandharva Mahavidyalaya for the promotion of Indian classical music. He was awarded the civilian honour of Padma shri by Indian government for his contribution to Indian classical music.