Important events from Indian history that happened on 16 March – Birthdays, Death anniversaries and other events which affected India’s future
16 March – Birthdays
- Birth anniversary of Malhar Rao Holkar- He was one of the nobles of the Maratha empire. He was one of the first princes of the Holkar family which ruled Indore. Malhar Rao Holkar was actually responsible for initiating the spread of Maratha empire in Northern India and was awarded with the rulership of Indore by the Peshwa.
- Birth anniversary of Iftikhar Ali Khan Pataudi- He was the eighth Nawab of the state of Pataudi and actually let the Indian cricket team during their English tour of 1946. Later his son Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi also became the captain of Indian cricket team.
- Birth anniversary of Maharana Amar Singh 1- He was the eldest son and the successor to Maharana Pratap. He was the 13th Rana of the Mewar dynasty and came to power after the death of his father. His capital was the city of Udaipur. He was very popular in his Kingdom due to his bravery and care for his populace. He kept up the struggle that his father had initiated against the Mughals for a long time but later entered into a peace treaty with them so that the financial and manpower damage that was happening to Mewar could be minimized.
- Birth anniversary of Nanalal dalpatram Kavi who is known for his contribution to Gujarati literature. He was a noted poet and author in the language.
- Birth anniversary of Bengali writer and Rajshekhar Basu. He is popularly known for his short stories and is considered to be one of the greatest humorist of Bengali literature. He was awarded Padma Bhushan for his contribution to Indian literature.
16 March – Death anniversaries
- Death anniversary of Indian Revolutionary and freedom fighter Ganesh Damodar Savarkar. He was the eldest of Savarkar brothers and led an armed Revolt against the British government. For his participation in the Indian freedom struggle he was sentenced to life imprisonment. He is also credited with founding the Abhinav Bharat Society.
- Death anniversary of Indian classical singer Alladia Khan. He was also known as a Gaan Samrat and Gauri Shankar. He is credited with the foundation of Jaipur Atrauli Gharana