Important events from Indian history that happened on 15 January – Birthdays, Death anniversaries and other events which affected India’s future
15 January – Birthdays
- K D Jadhav – Khashaba Dadasaheb Jadhav or K. D. Jadhav was an Indian wrestler who represented India in the summer Olympics of 1948 and 52. In 1952, he became first athlete of Independent India to win an Olympics medal (Bronze). He was born in 1926 in the Satara district of Maharashtra and was famous by nickname “Pocket Dynamo”.
- Neil Nitin Mukesh – Neil Nitin Mukesh is an Indian actor who made his debut in Bollywood with movie Johnny Gaddaar. The film was crtically acclaimed and the actor was heaped with praise for his superb performance. He is the son of playback singers Nitin Mukesh and Nishi Mukesh and grandson of legendary singer Mukesh.
- Mayawati – Mayawati is an Indian politician who has served as the chief minister of India’s most populous state, Uttar Pradesh on four different occasions. She is the party supremo for BSP (Bahujan Samaj Party) which mainly caters to empowerment of Bahujans or Schedule castes and Schedule Tribes. She was born in Delhi in a Jatav family.
- Pritish Nandy – Pritish Nandy is a multi-talented personality with interests in areas like poetry, journalism, politics, television and media etc. He was elected to Rajya Sabha member by Shiv Sena. Pritish Nandy has published several books on poems and even translated poems of others. He established a media company PNC (Pritish Nandy Communications) where he still presides as a non-executive chairman. Mr. Nandy was born in Bhagalpur, Bihar in the year 1951.
15 January – Death anniversaries
- Tapan Sinha – Tapan Sinha is a renowned name in Bengali cinema. He started his career as a sound engineer and worked at Pinewood Studios in England as well. He later returned and made several memorable masterpieces in his six decade long career. He is considered a legend in the field of parallel cinema. Tapan was married to another famed Bengali cinema personality, Arundhati Devi. He died at the age of 84 in his hometown Kolkata.
15 January – Events
- Army Day – Army day is celebrated on 15th January every year to celebrate the event of Lt. General K. M. Cariappa taking the charge of Indian Army by being the first commander-in chief of Independent India. This day is celebrated through Parades and other events in New Delhi and other Army headquarters. People also remember soldiers who laid down their lives fighting for their country.