Important events from Indian history that happened on 13 January – Birthdays, Death anniversaries and other events which affected India’s future
13 January – Birthdays
- Rakesh Sharma – Wing Commander Rakesh Sharma was commissioned in the Indian Air Force in 1970. While in service, he flew several aircrafts in his training and swiftly rose through ranks to become a squadron leader. Sharma was chosen to be a part of a joint space program between ISRO and Soviet Intercosmos program. He became the first and the only Indian citizen who flew into space aboard the Soviet rocket Suyoz-T11. Rakesh Sharma was born on 13th January, 1949 in Patiala, Punjab. He was an alumnus of National Defense Academy.
- Shivkumar Sharma – Shivkumar Sharma is an iconic santoor player which is a folk musical instrument. His father Uma Dutt Sharma was an accomplished singer and he started training shivkumar in vocals and table at an early age of 5. He gave his first public performance at the age of 17 in Mumbai. He now plays with his son Rahul who decided to continue the family tradition.
13 January – Death anniversaries
- Madan Puri – This Indian actor was part of Indian cinema (Bollywood) during the 60s and 70s and predominantly portrayed negative characters like his younger sibling Amrish Puri. He died of a heart attack at the age of 69 in Mumbai.
- Rusi Surti – He was an Indian cricketer who represented Indian in 26 Test matches between 1960 and 69. He was a left arm medium pace bowler and a lower order batsman. He scored 688 runs at an average of 45.50 in test matches and became first ever Indian to score a half century and bag five wicket haul in the same test match.
- Mavelikara Krishnakutty Nair – He was Carnatic Mridangam player and a student of Palani Subramaniam Pillai. In the early days, Nair was a regular feature at All India Radio (AIR). He was awarded Padma Shri for his contributions to the Carnatic music.