Important events from Indian history that happened on 1 January – Birthdays, Death anniversaries and other events which affected India’s future
1 January – Birthdays
- Vidya Balan – The versatile Indian actress was born in Mumbai on this very day in year 1979. She has established herself as a leading actress of Bollywood and has been awarded with several Filmfare, Screen and National Award.
- Sonali Bendre – Another female lead actress of Bollywood, Sonali Bendre was born in Mumbai in the year 1975. She has worked in Tamil, Telugu, Marathi and Kannada film industries as well.
- Nana Patekar – He is an actor, writer, Philanthropist and director who was born in 1951 in Raigad District of Maharashtra. He was predominantly associated with Hindi and Marathi Cinema. The legendary actor has been lately in news due to his philanthropic initiatives through his charitable foundations like Naam and Anubhuti.
- Kay Kay Menon – Born in year 1966, Kay Kay Menon is an established flim, theater and television actor.
- Satyendra Nath Bose – This Indian physicist was born in 1894 in Kolkata and is renowned for his contribution towards Quantum Mechanics. A class of subatomic particles were named as “Bosons” to honor his contributions towards particle Physics. Bose was also nominated for a Physics Nobel but he missed out.
- Salman Khurshid – An indian politician, advocate, author and a teacher, Salman Khurshid has been affiliated to Indian National Congress throughout his life. He was a minister of cabinet rank in the previous Congress government under prime minister Manmohan Singh.
- Jyodiraditya Scindia – He is the Maharaja of Gwalior and a member of parliament from the Guna constituency. He rose to became the power minister in the previous UPA government under the leadership of prime minister Manmohan Singh.
1 January – Death anniversaries
- Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar – The “father of research laboratories”, was a famous Indian scientist and a Chemistry professor for a good part of his illustrious career. Among the several first’s of his life, Shanti Swaroop was the first Director-General of CSIR and the first ever chairman of UGC. To honor his contribution, CSIR later instituted “Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award” for outstanding achievements in the field of Science and Technology.
1 January – Important events
- In the year 1877, Queen Victoria of the erstwhile British Empire is proclaimed the Empress of India.
- During the 1949 war with Pakistan – Prime Minister approached United Nations against the armed insurgency by Pakistan. According to an UN decree, a cease-fire took effect on this date and the war between the two countries stopped and a status-quo was maintained thereafter.