1 April – Birthdays
- Fauja Singh – Fauja Singh is a British Sikh with Punjabi descent who holds Marathon records over multiple age brackets. He completed a marathon at the age of 92 in 2003. He is known by several nicknames like Turbaned Tornado, Running Baba etc.
- Mohammed Hamid Ansari – Mr. Hamid Ansari was the 12th Vice President of India and the first to serve under 3 different presidents. He stepped down in August 2017 after serving two consecutive terms.
- Guru Teg Bahadur – Guru Teg Bahadur was the ninth of ten gurus (Nanak) in Sikhism. He resisted the forceful conversions of Kashmiri Pandits and other Non-Muslims happening under the Mughal Empire. His refusal to abide by the Mughal orders resulted in his capture and public beheading. His death is still remembered as the “Shaheedi Diwas”.
- Murali Vijay – He is an Indian International player who represents India predominantly in Test matches. Born and brought up in Tamil nadu, Vijay played for the state Ranji team in 2006. He was part of Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Chennai Super Kings (CSK).
1 April – Death anniversaries
- Asaf Ali – He was a freedom fighter and a noted lawyer who served as the First Ambassador from India to United States. He was the lawyer who came forward to defend Bhagat Singh and Batukeshwar Dutt after they threw bomb in the Central Legislative Assembly. Asaf Ali later served as the governor of Odisha. He was married to Bharat Ratna Aruna Asaf Ali.
1 April – Important events
- On 1 April 1936, Orissa and Bihar were recognized as new provinces under the British. These states were earlier part of Bengal but were bifurcated into separate states in 1936.
- Japanese troops conquered Jessami in Manipur during the World War 2.